Eisbein (serves 2)
A pork knuckle covered by a thick layer of fat, the eisbein is a tender and aromatic German dish which needs to cook for a long time before it’s ready to be enjoyed. Use this easy recipe to achieve your perfect eisbein, and serve it with potatoes and sauerkraut.
2 cured and smoked shanks of pork
1 onion, cut into quarters
1 carrot, chopped roughly
1 bay leaf
- Add all the ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Fill the saucepan with water, enough to cover the ingredients.
- Bring the saucepan to the boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 1 ½ hours or until tender and the skin is soft.
- Once cooked, remove the shanks from the saucepan and pat them to dry.
- Score the skin diagonally across.
- Salt the skin well.
- Place the shanks under a hot grill and let the skin crisp up to form crackling.